How to improve sleep quality
Dancers need 8-10 hours of sleep/night for optimal learning and recovery. Regardless of how many hours you get, all dancers can improve the quality of the time you do have. How?
- Set an alarm for a wind-down routine 1 hour prior to bedtime.
- Turn off the electronics and bring down the light.
- Pack and prepare everything you need for tomorrow.
- Mind dump – write down everything on your mind for 5 minutes.
- Perform your foam-rolling routine for 5-10 minutes.
These strategies help clear your mind and calm your muscles to get more quality from the time you do have for sleep. What are your favorite wind-down routine practices?
This article was written by Twin Cities Orthopedics’ dance and performing arts medicine department for educational purposes. It is not intended to diagnose, treat or prevent any medical condition.